Delhi Common Wealth Games 2010
India First Common Wealth Games will be held in National Capital. New Delhi will be hosting the event from 3rd of October till 14th of October 2010. Common Wealth Games has got a huge pride to India. During the games tourist and athletes from 71 participating countries will be visiting Delhi. Delhi Which Already attracts lot of tourist for its heritage sites and monuments, culture, hospitality, fairs and festivals etc. It will be an important event, especially from the tourism point of view. Teams that will arrive here can take the opportunity to explore India.
Delhi Is getting a new look with star attraction New Delhi Metro, city’s monuments, an integral part of the rich heritage of Delhi’s past, are being cleaned and revitalized. Transportation development, upgrading of existing infrastructure, beautification of the entire city and provisioning for modern facilities is being done for the whole city as a result of the games, in order to cater to influx of travelers and tourists in large numbers. The Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 is being seen as a major boost for tourism industry in the country and appropriate policy decisions have been taken to spruce up the travel industry by giving major tax rebates which will help to increase the employment opportunities in the travel sector. Alternatively; tourist destinations like Agra, Jaipur, Taj Mahal and Tours to Taj Mahal are also believed to attract spillover of tourist’s especially foreign tourists who will come into Delhi for the games.Athletes from over 71 countries will be competing for top honors in 17 disciplines, which will also see the game of ‘Kabaddi’ as a demonstration discipline in the current edition. All the competitions in the games will be held in 11 different venues across the city of Delhi with the opening and closing ceremony of the games being slated to happen in the ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium’ which has a capacity to accommodate approximately 75000 people at any given time. Apart from the opening and closing ceremonies the stadium will also be host to athletics and weightlifting disciplines.
The Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 will be watched the world over by millions of people and will showcase the cultural diversity and uniqueness of the country. There are modern facilities like the state of the art games village which is being made for the athletes and delegates who will come from various countries. The entire city of New Delhi is being upgraded with numerous world class facilities and different help and assistance centres will be setup to guide and assist the travelers or tourists who will come visiting during the games.
Apart from this the successful hosting of Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010 will also help in substantiating the claim for hosting future Olympic Games for which the city is aggressively bidding to host.
List of Stadiums, events held and Our Distance from these stadiums :
- JN Stadium – Opening and Closing Ceremony of games will take here. Sports here being played will be Athletics – Track & field (6th-12th Oct) , Marathon(14th oct).
- Dr SPM Swimming Complex – Aquatics ( swimming 4-9th oct) ( diving 10-13th oct)( Synchronised 4-9th oct)
- Yamuna Sports Complex,– Archery (4-10th oct), table tennis ( 4th-14th oct)
- India gate - Walk(9th oct), Archery(4th-10th oct), Cycling (Road Mass Start 10th oct)
- Siri Fort Sports Complex – Badminton(4th-14th oct) , Squash(4th-13th oct)
- Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range – shooting Clay Target(6th-13th oct)
- RK Khanna Tennis Stadium – tennis ( 4th- 10th oct)
- Maj. Dhyan Chand National Stadium
- IG Sports Complex – Cycling ( track 5-8th oct), wrestling ( 5th-10th oct)
- Noida Highway Express Rd
- Talkatora Indoor Stadium – Boxing (5th - 11th oct)
- JN Sports Complex – Weightlifting ( 4th- 12th oct), Lawn Bowls
- Thyagaraj Sports Complex – Net ball
- Delhi University - Rugby 7s
- CRPF Campus, Kadarpur – full bore
View Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010 Map in a larger map